2nd Thursday – Gardening:
While the rain and the winds charge through my garden, I take refuge indoors in books. Oftentimes I will consult decorating books for inspiration. I am sure we all have our favorite authors.
The same applies to gardening books. One such author I turn to time and time again is P. Allen Smith. My first encounter with this author was through his PBS television program many years ago.
My first book was P. Allen Smith’s Garden Home. In this book he retells his creation of his garden from a blank slate. He had the opportunity to obtain a 1904 home – for free – all he had to do was to move it and to restore it.
He located a double lot in a historic section of a town – cleared the lot and placed his new/old home there. He then began the process of creating ‘garden rooms’ that complemented the rooms within his home.
“For me, a Garden Home is much more than just a clever idea; it is a way to make a very real connection to the garden, where I interact with nature every day”.
P. Allen Smith
In his books he shares his 12 Principles of Design
These concepts have inspired me to create and to recreate portions of my garden and to establish ‘garden rooms’ in my own garden.
I have thoroughly enjoyed his Container Gardens book as well – there are 60 container recipes – divided by the seasons.
Also I have his Color for the Garden book – a tremendous inspiration in color combination.
“All gardening is landscape painting” William Kent
If you have not had opportunity to read P. Allen Smith books, I’d highly recommend them – they are well written and informative. You can also find P. Allen Smith online. So, while winter lingers in some areas and rain pelts in others – I think it a wonderful time to find inspiration for your home and for your garden. The concept of gardens being an extension of your home’s rooms is a marvelous one to incorporate in your garden.
Guidelines for H and GT Party:
1. Be a follower of A Delightsome Life through GFC, Email, Feedburner or other Social networks.
2. Please text link back to ADL or post the Party Button, so that your readers can join in/or find the other participants.
3. Home and Garden Thursday encompasses everything! You may link up and share your DIY, home décor, furniture refinishing, paint projects, craft projects, thrifty finds, gardening tips and photos, your recipes – anything Home and Garden related. Share your favorite post of the previous week!
4. Please link the URL specific to the post you are sharing – not your blog’s URL.
5. Please visit other guests, just as you would at any other party, leave some comments and perhaps make a few new friends!
On Wednesday morning, I will post features from the previous week – two of my favorite and two reader’s favorites.
The H and GT Party post will be published each Wednesday evening at 6:00 EST using Inlinkz.
A Delightsome Life
Home and Garden Thursday
Post schedule will be:
1st Thursday – Home Décor
2nd Thursday – Garden
3rd Thursday – Thrifting or Crafting
4th Thursday – Recipe or cooking tips
5th Thursday – Anything Goes
I look forward to seeing your inspiring posts!
I am joining these other Delightsome Thursday blog parties: