Dearest Loves Apple Cobbler
Especially with the shortbread topping. So, I love making it for him, but for the most part of the week it is just the two of us…my solution Apple Cobblers in Ramekins. Individual desserts give us the treat without all of the tempting leftovers!
When making apple desserts I generally like a combination of apples. When baking, you want a balance of sweet and tart flavors from your apples. The Granny Smith is a perfect, firm, tart apple for baking. The Gala apple adds just the right amount of sweetness and holds up well while baking.
More Apple Options
In the fall I love going to the apple farms in North Georgia. It was so much fun when the children were younger! They provide so many wonderful varieties of apples.
- Jonathan – this tart and tangy apple is a favorite for apple pies
- Melrose – a cross between the Jonathan and the Red Delicious
- Winesap – a tart and spicy apple
- Honeycrisp – a beautifully sweet apple
- Rome Beauty – a mild, sweet apple
- Braeburn – a spicy, sweet apple
- Cortland – tart, white-fleshed apple
This is a crust recipe that I use for a lot of cobblers and also for the sweet potato casserole – it is basically a crumbly shortbread crust – I do it by memory most times.
- 1 to 2 apples per ramekin
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar per ramekin
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon per ramekin
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter softened
- Peel and slice the apples to fill the ramekins. Splash with fresh lemon juice. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon on top the sliced apples. Prepare the crust. In a bowl combine the flour and the sugar. Work in the softened butter until the mixture has a crumbly consistency. Holding the ramekin over the bowl of crust dough take a handful of the dough and press into the sliced apples. Set aside. Repeat for each ramekin. Sprinkle some of the crumb dough atop each cobbler. Bake at 350 until golden brown - 20 to 30 minutes depending upon your oven.
Do you like Apple Cobbler?
Give individual apple cobblers a try…just enough sweet for dessert…for you and for those you love. They’re cute too!