The Virtuous Woman – Part IV
The Importance of Good Character
“Strength and honor are her clothing; She shall rejoice in time to come. (25) She opens her mouth with wisdom, And on her tongue is the law of kindness.” Proverbs 31:26
In all of the descriptions of a Virtuous woman – these two verses come back to the center of the most important part – a woman who is known to be a Virtuous Woman is one who seeks after God’s own heart.
She ‘clothes‘ herself in her actions and in her character with strength and honor. She is confident in her relationship with God, in her relationship with her husband and children as well as with her efforts for her family that she will not worry or fret when difficult circumstances come in her life.
She is not afraid of the future for her trust is in God.
Knowing how to live a life full of trust in God and to live rightly before Him can be seen in the instructions Jesus gave to all in Matthew six:
- v1 – 4 – When you do good things – from your heart – do them unto God not to be seen or praised by others.
- v5 – 15 – Your prayer life – each day spend time with God praising him, giving thanks and asking for those things you need from Him
- v16 – 18 – when you take the time to fast before the LORD – ensure that it is a personal one whereby you do it for the purpose of growing closer to Him and to gain Spiritual clarity in your life
- v19 – 21 – know the true value of Heavenly treasures – devote your time and efforts to those things that matter the most – invest in the wellbeing of your family; especially their spiritual life.
- v22 – 23 – Guard your heart and your mind and be the ‘keeper of the home‘ to guard your home and family
- v24 – Dedicate your whole heart, soul and spirit to God – so that your daily actions and words will honor Him and benefit yourself and your family
- v25-34 – Put your complete trust in God – don’t worry about your future, your family’s future or any thing else. God is in control and there will be difficulties and trials. But, by exercising your complete trust and faith in Him, you will be able to stand and comfort your family.
The Virtuous woman exercises the fruits of the Spirit in her life so that she reflects the character of God.
This is best revealed not only in her behavior, demeanor but also in her speech. How she talks to others and about subjects reveals her heart. If she has surrendered her heart to God, she will guard her tongue to ensure that what she says to others, most especially to her husband and to her family is enriching and up-lifting.
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.” Galatians5:22-23
“Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one” Colossians 4:6
“Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.” Ephesians 4:29
“A wholesome tongue is a tree of life, But perverseness in it breaks the spirit.” Proverbs 15:4
Know that how a woman conducts herself with her family and how she speaks to them reveals her heart.
We all should be diligent to ensure that our behavior and our speech not only honors God, but also uplifts our husband and family… so that, “Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her: “Many daughters have done well, But you excel them all.” Proverbs 31:28, 29
The Virtuous Woman
She is rare and valuable in the sight of God and in the sight of her family.
To endeavor to have the characteristics of a Virtuous woman is a lifelong, worthy endeavor. Encourage one another in their efforts and encourage yourself in the LORD to continue to grow, to learn, to be – the best of what you can be… for the God who loves you so very much.