For When You’re Restless.
I shared with my daughter that the other night I kept waking up and my mind was just running with thoughts. I was thinking about all of the things I needed to do. I was thinking about events that were occurring in my life…It seemed I couldn’t turn my mind off so that I could rest. She said she does the same thing…that she’s constantly making lists of things to do…
How Can We Rest?
Well, sometimes I think we wake in the middle of the night to pray. It’s a wonderful quiet time where we can talk with God. We can share what’s on our hearts and minds. We can also pray for one another at that time.
Too Many Distractions
I think that when I have restless nights I haven’t quite properly prepared myself to rest. I work until the point of going to bed or we watch something on T.V. There probably is some merit to developing an evening ritual to prepare us for a restful night of sleep.
Bothered by Circumstances
One of the thing I think we women do is we are so very concerned about others and circumstances we want to comfort and to nurture. But, we have to all come to realize that there are things that are out of our hands…that are out of our ability to care for.
Sometimes it is very hard not to worry. We are more connected these days than ever before. We see the senseless violence in this world as it is happening. We hear about such terror and tragedies that we cannot help but be affected by them. It can also be unsettling when these events hit close to home or close to someone we love.
What Does God Tell Us About Rest and Peace
I tried that night to quote to myself Bible verses to bring my mind to a rest…I realized I needed more put to memory or that I should have just gotten up to take some time to read or to pray.
- Trust God – Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
- Give God Your Worries -Philippians 4:6-7 “Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks. Then God’s peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus.”
- Turn over your anxieties to God – Luke 12:29 “And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried.”
- Pray to God – Lamentations 2:19 “Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the night watches! Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord! Lift your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint for hunger at the head of every street.”
- Sleep in Peace – Psalm 4:8 “In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.”
- Know God will Sustain You – Psalm 3:5 “I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.”
- Prepare for Rest – “Ecclesiastes 2:22-23 For what does a man get from all his work and trouble under the sun? For his work brings pain and sorrow all his days. Even during the night his mind does not rest. This also is for nothing.”
- Trust God to Keep you and those you love safe – Psalms 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.
- Focus on God – “Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.”
- Let God’s Peace Rule Your Hearts – Colossians 3:15 “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.”
- Set Your Daily Focus on God…not Things – Colossians 3:2 “Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.”
- Read God’s Word – Colossians 3:16 “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
- Sing a Song – Ephesians 5:19 “singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts.”
I think from time to time we will all have restless nights. This gives us an opportunity to reflect and to take stock on what we focus our days and minds on. We can take advantage of those times to reach out to God and talk with Him in prayer. We can take the time to reassess our daily habits and our thought habits – are we giving enough time to our devotion to God so that we can rest and be sustained by Him? Some time life does take over and we get so busy all the way up until we are supposed to rest. Let’s take advantage of those times – reassess our daily habits and make sure we’re giving God first place. Let’s make sure we’re exercising our faith that He is in control. Most of all, let’s make sure our daily walk and life is one that puts Him first and others as well so that we can fully accomplish those things He has given us to do.
I hope you find rest in knowing God is in control and He has a plan for you…His plan is perfect, peaceful and full of rest.