It all started with a lazy Saturday afternoon watching one of our favorite old movies, ‘Little Women’. There’s a scene where the girls are awaiting breakfast and one exclaims, ‘Popovers!’ Dearest, our daughter and I wondered, ‘just what are popovers?’
Fast forward several months and to what do my wondering eyes behold – a gift from darling daughter! A Popover pan! Guess who made Popovers that day! Yes, and we LOVE them! They’re awesome to behold and such eggy-bread goodness!
Popovers are eggy bread that when opened have hollows, nooks and crannies. They’re perfect for jam, butter, chicken or turkey salad, gravies….we imagined the possibilities. So, yes! I will be adding Popovers more often to our menu – for the deliciousness and for the fun of it!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon melted Butter
- additional butter for popover pan
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. When the oven is ready, place the popover pan into the oven. While heating, whisk all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl until smooth. Remove the pan from the oven and grease the pan with softened butter - be careful! Pour the batter into the pan at just less than half full. The batter will be runny. Place the popover pan into the oven and set time for 25 minutes. Do not disturb! When the timer goes off enjoy your golden, eggy goodness!
Popovers can be enjoyed as they are, with jelly, jam, chicken, egg, ham, or any kind of salad as well as any meat and gravy! Use your imagination!
A Few Tips:
Popovers are so very easy to make! I can’t believe it took me this long to try them! No wonder they were adored by the sisters in the Little Women story and such a sweet gesture…to give them away. Here you go – give them a try! Don’t have a popover pan! I’ve seen where you can use ramekins or custard cups. Remember – only fill them just under halfway full! Enjoy!